How to Use a WMS
There are a number of ways to connect to a Web Map Service so you can display
air photos and other maps on your computer without having to download the data.
Viewers and GIS Software
Many online viewers and geographic information systems software packages can connect directly with the service. Once connected, you can view and use the images just as you would if they were on your computer. Check your software manual or help files for specific instructions on how to add a web mapping service.
Here are several examples:
- Google Earth
- ArcGIS Online
- Using MnGeo's Image WMS in ArcGIS Online without creating an account
- AutoCAD Civil 3D and AutoCAD Map 3D
- Step-by-step instructions for V8i
- Note: v8i versions of MicroStation or Power Geopak try to use the old TLS 1.0 network connection protocol to connect to the WMS server by default. If you are having trouble connecting to the WMS server, make sure that your .NET Framework is configured to support strong cryptography and that TLS 1.2 is enabled on your client computers. This Microsoft article may help.
- Minnesota MapServer
Use without an Internet Connection
- DNR Export to Image tool for ArcGIS 10: Use WMS in the field without an internet connection.
Create Your Own Web Application
Programmers and web developers can add WMS services to their website applications. For example, see the technical specifications for MnGeo's Geospatial Image Service.
Return to MnGeo WMS homepage